Wednesday, September 4, 2019

EP 2 - John Questions Why Paul Is Back

EPISODE 2

Created By: Ted & Betty Corday
Written By: Mike Larry
Written By: Casey Hutchison

NEW DAY. MORNING.
SALEM UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL - WAITING AREA

Eli, Lani, and Doug are sitting down. It is apparent that they have finished a small meal. Doug takes a sip from his coffee cup.

Image result for Doug days of our lives
DOUG: Lani, thank you for bringing us breakfast this morning.

Image result for Sal Stowers
LANI: Of course. I’m sorry that I had to go to the station late last night. But, I’m here with you every step of the way today.

Related image
ELI: Me too. There’s plenty of coverage at the station.

DOUG: That’s very sweet of the both of you.

LANI: Have there been any updates on finding Julie a heart?

DOUG: Not yet. Kayla said that she’ll inform us as soon as possible when something comes up. Other than that, Julie is resting right now.

ELI: I know that’s for the best. Grandma needs all the rest she can get.

LANI: I agree.

Seconds later, Hope walks up to Eli, Lani, and Doug.

Related image
HOPE: Hi, dad. Lani. Eli.

LANI: Hi, Hope.

HOPE: How is she?

DOUG: She’s resting now. There really hasn’t been any updates on her condition at the moment. Kayla has been moniriting her closely though.

HOPE: Good. I made all the necessary calls. I called Jennifer, Maggie, JJ…, even our brother. Everyone really. They’re all keeping Julie in their thoughts and prayers right now. I just asked that they keep the visits to a minimum.

DOUG: That’s for the best. We don’t want to overwhelm her. (sighs/standing) I’m going to go back in there and sit with her for awhile. I want to be there when she wakes up.

HOPE: I’ll come with you.

DOUG: If it’s okay with you, honey, I would like to go see her alone.

HOPE: Are you sure?

DOUG: Yes. I’m sure. Just for a bit.

HOPE: Okay. I love you.

DOUG: I love you too.

Doug walks off and Hope looks on at him, worried.
KIRIAKIS MANSION - LIVING ROOM

Victor is sitting on the couch and drinking a cup of coffee. Maggie enters the room. She walks to Victor and sits next to him.

Related image
VICTOR: (looking over) Oh, I was wondering when you were going to come back downstairs and finish your breakfast. How’s Sarah doing?

Image result for Suzanne Rogers
MAGGIE: Oh, darling, I’m worried about her. She’s still very upset. She wants things to work out with Eric. But, I don’t think it’s going to.

VICTOR: Things are complicated with Nicole and Holly being alive.

MAGGIE: Yes. Anyway, how are you feeling?

VICTOR: Wonderful. In fact, I haven’t felt this good in a real long time.

MAGGIE: Really? Why’s that?

VICTOR: First of all, we get to see our precious Holly again. That little girl puts a smile on my face no matter what. And, come this fall, I’m going to be focusing more on us. I’ve made a big decision. One that will impact our relationship like never before. For the better, that is.
MARLENA’S PENTHOUSE - LIVING ROOM

John is standing over by the desk. He is looking at a note that Marlena has written to him that reads: Went to meet Will for breakfast. I will see you later today. Love, Marlena. As John sets the note on the table, Paul enters the room, sitting in his wheelchair.

Related image
PAUL: Good morning, dad.

Image result for Drake Hogestyn
JOHN: (looking over) Morning, son. You look well rested.

PAUL: I am. That guest bed you and Marlena have is comfortable.

JOHN: Doc picked that out herself.

PAUL: I had a feeling she did. Thank you for letting me stay here.

JOHN: Of course. You’re always welcomed here, son.

PAUL: Thanks again. I can’t believe the strange coincidence of it all. You and Marlena were really coming to see me in a couple of days?

JOHN: Yes.We planned a whole trip.

PAUL: I guess I saved you guys a couple of bucks.

JOHN: (laughs) You did. I have to admit, I was caught off guard.

PAUL: Yeah? Why’s that?

JOHN: I didn’t expect you to show up here last night. Son, you know I’m glad you’re here. I’ve told you that a million times since last night. But, I’m confused.

PAUL: About…?

JOHN: After all the pain and heartache you’ve been through, why are you back in town? What brought you to Salem again? And, how long are you staying?

PAUL: Well, dad, how about you take a seat and I will answer all of your questions.
DOUG’S PLACE - DINING AREA

Marlena and Will are sitting down. They each have a menu and a glass of orange juice in front of them. As Marlena takes a sip of her orange juice, Will begins to look over his menu.

Image result for Chandler Massey
WILL: So, what looks good to you, grandma?

Image result for Marlena Evans days of our lives
MARLENA: I love the crepes here. And, the chef comes up with a new crepe filling each week. Rumor has it that he’s doing mixed berry this week.

WILL: That sounds amazing.

MARLENA: They always are.

WILL: I’m glad we’re doing this. I’ve been so busy lately that outings with family have kind of taken a backseat. You know what I mean?

MARLENA: I know. Stuff like that happens sometimes. I’m glad you could make it today though. I have some news to share with you. I didn’t want to deliver this piece of news over the phone. I think that would’ve been very insensitive of me.

WILL: Grandma, what’s going on? Is everything okay?

MARLENA: Depends on how you look at it. Sweetheart, when I reveal this news to you, I want you to tell me all of what you’re feeling. Don’t hold back.

WILL: You’re kinda starting to scare me. What is it?

MARLENA: (sighs) Paul’s back in Salem.
CHICAGO HOTEL - ROOM 512

Jennifer is sitting on the bed, putting on a pair of gold, stud earrings. Jack comes from the bathroom. He is putting on a blue tie.

Image result for Jennifer Horton days of our lives
JENNIFER: I always liked that tie on you.

Related image
JACK: Thanks. I hope last night wasn’t awkward.

JENNIFER: What do you mean?

JACK: We had to spend the night in the same room.

JENNIFER: They only had two rooms left in this place. Eric got his. We got our’s. Plain and simple. No awkwardness about it. Plus, we were up most of the night making sure we didn’t hear or see Rolf leave his room.

JACK: True.

JENNIFER: Jack, before we go see him today, I want you to be honest with me. Do you really have the fifty million to pay him?

JACK: Yes. I have plenty of money stashed. Legal, of course.

JENNIFER: Of course. I believe you. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, I do have another question that needs answering. It’s actually one that your son brought to my attention.

JACK: Oh yeah? What’s that?

JENNIFER: Let’s say that the hospital is able to replicate Rolf’s serum. And, let’s say it works and you get your memories back.

JACK: Jennifer, what’s your point?

JENNIFER: I just want to know if you’ll try and make sense of your memories. Or, will you give up and stay as this unrecognizable shell of your former self?
SEAVIEW APARTMENTS - LOBBY

Eric enters the small apartment lobby. He looks around and sees a help desk. He walks up to the desk and the man that is standing behind it.

MR. MILHAM: Hi, can I help you, sir?

Related image
ERIC: Hi. My name is Eric Brady. I was given this address in order to locate someone I’ve been looking for. I was hoping you could tell me where I might find apartment 5B in this building?

MR. MILHAM: 5B is on a privately owned floor. I would have to call up to that apartment first to make sure it’s okay that I send you up.

ERIC: I don’t have time for that. I was told to come here by Dr. Wilhelm Rolf.

MR. MILHAM: Dr. Rolf sent you?

ERIC: So, you know who I’m talking about?

MR. MILHAM: Yes. How do I know he really sent you?

ERIC: Because, I know that the people who reside in that apartment are Nicole Walker and her daughter Holly. I know that they’re under Rolf’s care. Listen, I thought these people that I love very much were dead. I’ve waited a long time to see them. So, if you do not tell me which floor this apartment is on, I will tear you apart with my bare hands. Do you understand?

MR. MILHAM: Yes, sir.

ERIC: Good. Now, which floor?

MR. MILHAM: Apartment 5B is on the fifth floor of this building.

ERIC: Thanks.

Eric walks off to the elevator.

Back at Marlena’s Penthouse, in the Living Room, John is now sitting on the couch. Paul is in his wheelchair next to the couch.

PAUL: I was never planning to come back to Salem. Ever. To tell you the truth, this place was beginning to hold too many bad memories. But, when I was in San Francisco, and doing my PT day in and day out to try to walk again, something inside of me just felt this lingering feeling to be here. The more I felt this feeling, the more I missed a lot of people. Not just you and Marlena, but Brady, Maggie, Tate, the list goes on and on. So, here I am.

JOHN: I knew you weren’t going to stay away forever. I wouldn’t have let that happen. Salem is a big part of your life. I don’t think anyone can ever stay away from this town.

PAUL: I’d say you’re right about that. Now, as for how long I’m staying, I’m not sure. I just want to take things day by day.

JOHN: I can understand that. You’re welcome to stay here as long as you’d like.

PAUL: I appreciate that. Well, I better get ready for the day. I have a PT appointment at the hospital actually. Just because I got frustrated with it, doesn’t mean I get to stop doing it.

JOHN: I’ve always had a great appreciation for your determination.

PAUL: Dad, I’ve come to learn that sometimes a person’s determination is all they can hold onto at the end of a very long day.

John puts a hand on Paul’s left shoulder.

JOHN: Oh, Paul, you are so wise beyond your years.

PAUL: That means a lot coming from you.

JOHN: It’s the truth.

PAUL: I get all that wisdom from you. And, that’s the real truth.

Back at Doug's Place, in the Dining Area, Marlena and Will have each been served their breakfast. Will takes a sip of his orange juice.

WILL: Paul just showed up at your door out of the blue last night?

MARLENA: Yes. John and I were making arrangements to go see him. By the time I had booked the plane tickets, there was a knock at the door and there he was.

WILL: Did his PT in California work out?

MARLENA: I’m afraid not. He still has not regained the ability to walk.

WILL: I feel so bad for him.

MARLENA: I know. Me too. But, how do you really feel about this whole thing? I know that you’re in love with Sonny. However, you and Paul shared a lot of feelings, especially before you got your memory back.

WILL: I know. It is a little hard. I didn’t expect Paul to ever come back to Salem. Now that he is back, some old memories of he and I being together are flooding my mind right now.

MARLENA: I’ve been through multiple trials and tribulations in my past relationships. I’ve also had memories of a past love come back to me at the strangest of times. Even when I’m in love with someone else, much like you are right now. All in all, I’ve had situations highly similar to your’s. 

WILL: What have been the outcomes in those situations?

MARLENA: I get through them. The key is to stay loyal to the one you love. I know your heart is forever Sonny’s. You just need to remember that.

WILL: I will. I have a commitment to Sonny. One that I will continue to honor.

MARLENA: I’m so very happy to hear you say that.

WILL: Sonny has given me so much. He never gave up on me, even when I didn’t know my last name. He has always been by my side.

MARLENA: That’s called true love.

WILL: He’s my whole heart.

MARLENA: Yes he is. I know he is. I also know that you two will have decades more of happiness and joy coming your way.

WILL: (smiling) Here’s to it.

Back at the Kiriakis Mansion, in the Living Room, Maggie scoots closer to Victor. Her interest is growing more and more as to what he has just mentioned.

MAGGIE: How is the course of our marriage about to change exactly?

VICTOR: Maggie, I have thought about this decision for a very long time. Months even. I’ve weighed all the pros and cons. There just happens to be more pros.

MAGGIE: Victor, what is this big decision you've made?

VICTOR: Effective as soon as possible, I will be stepping away from all things Titan. I am officially retiring come this fall.

MAGGIE: Victor, are you sure?

VICTOR: Yes. It’s time, darling.

MAGGIE: Oh, this news is wonderful. This is just wonderful. It is so wonderful that I have the best idea in the world. It just popped into my mind.

VICTOR: What’s your idea?

MAGGIE: We should throw a big party.

VICTOR: That’s not necessary.

MAGGIE: (laughs) Nonsense. I will plan the whole thing. Every last detail. We will invite practically the whole town. I’m excited, Victor. This is the right decision. In the long run, this will bring us so much joy.

VICTOR: Definitely.

Maggie leans in and kisses Victor.

MAGGIE: I love you.

VICTOR: I love you too.

Back at Salem University Hospital, by the Waiting Area, Hope, Lani, and Eli are all standing around waiting for some news about Julie.

ELI: All this waiting is killing me. I thought maybe Kayla would’ve given us an update on my grandmother’s condition by now.

HOPE: Eli, Kayla is working very hard on trying to find Julie a heart so quickly. Just give her a little bit more time before she updates us. Okay?

LANI: Hope’s right.

ELI: I know. I’m just so out of my mind right now. I can’t believe this happened. She probably had that heart attack because of me. What if I overwhelmed her by calling her out on some of the things she says to people of color and different backgrounds?

LANI: Eli, do not blame yourself for what has happened. Julie clearly had that heart attack because of the blockage over time to her arteries and because she got so worked up by following Gabi around the square.

HOPE: Look, Julie will be fine. I know that. I also know that Lani’s right. You didn’t cause this heart attack to happen. You were teaching Julie a valuable lesson that she will truly admire over time. Never feel guilty for what you said to her. Never feel guilty about this whole situation.

ELI: Thank you, guys.

LANI: We’re just telling you the truth.

HOPE: Amen.

Seconds later, Kayla walks up to Lani, Hope, and Eli.

Related image
KAYLA: Hi, everyone.

HOPE: Kayla, we’re so happy to see you. How’s Julie doing?

KAYLA: I already told Doug about this news. He reacted just how I thought he would. I’m sure all of you will react the same way. Julie’s condition worsened much more than we thought it would in less than 24 hours. We are now trying to rush a heart to Salem as quickly as we can get one here.

ELI: What do you mean, Kayla? Should we be saying our goodbyes?

KAYLA: No, honey. No. Not at all. Just be prepared for some realities.

Then, Kayla’s pager goes off. She looks down.

KAYLA: There’s a call waiting for me on line three in my office. It could be another hospital we reached out to for a heart. I’ll be back. I promise.

HOPE: Thank you, Kayla.

LANI: Hope, I think you should update everyone.

HOPE: That’s a good idea. Everyone should know that they need to work double time on saying the prayers and sending good wishes.

ELI: (voice breaking) She’s gotta pull through. I can’t lose her.

LANI: You won’t. (whispers/leaning on Eli) You won’t.

Back at the Chicago Hotel, in Room 512, Jennifer stands up from the bed. Jack puts her suit jacket on and buttons the two buttons.

JENNIFER: When Will got his memories back, he tried very hard to allow himself to be the person we all knew. It was still a slow progression. At the end of the day, however, he embraced his memories. By embracing them, he’s gotten a beautiful life back for himself.

JACK: Good for him. Jennifer, I know you want me to remember what we shared, not only through memories but in my heart. I just don’t know how I’ll react till the serum is finished and injected into me.

JENNIFER: I understand. I know you think that I may be out for my own selfishness when it comes to you getting your past returned to you, but that’s not the case. More than anything, I just want you to remember the life you had with your children. They miss their father.

JACK: They’re great kids. They really are. We should go visit Rolf right now. I need to get the money to him and he needs to give me the notes. Then, I think that maybe we should go have a nice lunch before we leave.

JENNIFER: Sounds good. I’ll see if Eric is craving anything.

JACK: No. Just the two of us for lunch.

JENNIFER: Are you sure?

JACK: Positive.

Jennifer smiles on at Jack.
SEAVIEW APARTMENTS - HALLWAY

The elevator doors ding open and Eric steps off the elevator. He begins to walk down a hallway till he gets to the right apartment. Once he reaches 5B, he sees the door is opened and that there are no guards around.

ERIC: What’s going on here? Rolf said this place was heavily guarded?

Eric pushes the door open and enters the apartment.

SEAVIEW APARTMENTS - APARTMENT 5B

Upon entering, Eric shuts the door.

ERIC: (calling out) Hello! (calling out) Nicole!

Eric then hears a pair of heels hitting the ground. He turns around to face the hallway that goes off the kitchen. Coming from the hallway is a woman that he can’t quite make out.

ERIC: Nicole? Is that you?

WOMAN: Guess again.

The woman is revealed to be Kristen.

ERIC: Kristen? What the hell are you doing here?

Related image
KRISTEN: I thought I would follow you here. You really didn’t think that reuniting with your precious Nicole and her daughter was going to be that easy, did you? See, my immunity deal said that I had to give up Nicole and Holly’s location. It didn’t say that I couldn’t have a little fun with your emotions first.

ERIC: Where the hell are they, you bitch?!

KRISTEN: I’ll tell you the real location. I promise. But, first, you have to give me what I want, Eric. And, I mean actually meet my demand for once.

ERIC: What is it that you want now?

KRISTEN: When you are reunited with Nicole and Holly, I want you to leave town with them forever. I never want you as an obstacle ever again. You have stood in my way for almost a decade. Since I can’t kill you, because I just got out of some legal trouble, I’ll ask you kindly. Leave Salem for good with your blonde tramp and her bastard child, or I will unleash a wrath on you so big it will bring you to your knees.

The camera cuts back and forth between Kristen and Eric. It ultimately zooms in on Eric who is clearly thinking heavily about what Kristen has said.

***FADE OUT***
***END OF EP. 2***

No comments:

Post a Comment